Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Festival season has begun - The Works

Anna:  It's that time of year again.  No, not storm season (though it is that, too).  It's festival season in Edmonton.  At the moment, we've got The Works Art and Design Festival.  Here are just a few of the photos I took today.  (You can also check out my favorite artist here.)


arch-south9740

Every year, a pair of arches are painted during the festival.  This is the one on the south end of the Square.  Every year, I look forward to seeing how they turn out.

art9744


There are a couple of tents with these.  Smart Cars covered in papier mache.

I really hope there are not real cars under there, or it would be an incredible (and expensive!) waste!


art9779

Part of a larger work in progress.  Several old junkers filled with soil with transplants.

Funny.  On the farm I grew up on, we have a graveyard of vehicles (as do most of the neighboring farmers) with some that have been sitting so long, they've got trees growing in them, too.  I never would have thought of them as being art.  Mind you, no one's ripped the seats out and filled them with good soil.  With the wasps nests that get built in some of them, I doubt it would be a good idea to try.

You can see the rest of the photos I took today here.

1 comment:

Brian Christopher said...

Great photos! Thanks for sharing.