Sunday, March 7, 2010

Mystery Spheres solution

Time for an answer to the last mystery photo posted. I'm not sure, but I think CLarochelle got it - or at least something very much like it. Her answer was water beads from an aromatic diffuser.

What I had weren't sold as part of an aromatic diffuser, but it does give me ideas! Here's another look...

DSC_4841crop

The actual substance is sodium polyacrylate, and they were sold at Micheals as Water Jewels. They're the same as the irregularly shaped crystals sold as a soil-free growth medium. On the packet they came in, suggested useages were for flower arrangements and house plants, as candle holders, or just for decoration.

The above photo was meant to be a fully hydrated pellet next to some dry ones, but in the time it took to get the photo, the little ones were already starting to absorb moisture from the hydrated on.

DSC_4845crop

Of course, we just had to see what they looked like on the inside. *L*

They came as colourless pellets, but I added a few drops of green food colouring to them after they had fully hydrated, and I saw that I'd put in too much water for the amount of pellets. One package of pellets is supposed to be able to absorb 1 gallon of water. We only used 1/2 - 3/4 teaspoon and it's sitting in a little rose bowl I've got. We're waiting to see how long it takes to dry out. We've also discovered it's almost impossible to walk past the bowl and resist running our fingers through the stuff. *L*

No comments: