Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Diving


IMG_2909-50%
Originally uploaded by amkb

Yesterday at park day, I was glad my daughter convinced me to at least bring the small camera. It was cold and rainy when we left, but things cleared up a bit by the time we got there.

The baby Goldeneyes have grown a lot since I saw them a week before. Now, they're actively diving to the bottom along the lake's edge, for food.

Usually, the Goldeneyes are extremely shy, swimming away whenever I came closer to the water's edge to take photos. Not anymore! The mother tending to this brood (which may include the chicks of other pairs) was very protective. As I came closer, she would actually swim towards me, instead of way, watching me closely. I watched on mother chase off after some seagulls, while another dove under to chase off some ducks and their ducklings.

This photo is part of a new set I've created on my Flickr page called Urban Wildlife. More will be added soon.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

wow. I've never seen these before.

Anna said...

I've only ever seen them since we moved to Alberta. I think that has more to do with the type of waterways near where we lived than range, though.