Tuesday, July 1, 2008

119:365 Happy Canada Day!

Anna: A happy Canada Day to all my fellow Canucks. :-D

Today, the family and I headed out to one of several Canada Day celebrations across the city. This one started a bit later in the day (we weren't about to start at 7 am, not even for free pancakes! *L*). We only stayed for a couple of hours, too. You can few my Canada Day flickr set here.

This photo is of the first performance by the Miscigenação dance group. Pronounced Missy-jen-a-sówn, it is a Brazilian fusion dance, blending many different dance styles. This group did quite a number of dances, all with costume changes. Very excellent.








These folks are the reason why we came to this celebration over all the others. They're from the Capoeira Academy Edmonton. The guy levitating in the middle? I think it's safe to say he's the instructor - and WOW was he amazing!!!

After they finished their performance, we left. I'm sure the other performers would've been great, too, but between the heat and Philippe's back saying nasty things to him, it was time to go.






Later on, I headed out by myself to see what else was going on. After a brief stop at The Works (updated set here) I took the scenic route to the legislature grounds. (updated set here) I took quite a few photos along the way, but they didn't fit into any sets I have right now, but they're in my photostream.

This photo is taken from above the interpretive centre, as I was heading out. The crowd had thinned out quite a bit by then, with people heading to the south side to claim their spots to view the fireworks. Some people were already set up in the river valley, even though there was still 4 hours before the fireworks were supposed to start! I was tempted to stay for those, but I really didn't feel like waiting around that long. Especially after seeing that all the washrooms and porta-potties had line ups of women. Ever notice there are never line ups of men waiting for the washrooms? *L*

One of many photos I ended up getting while wandering the legislature grounds. I love the colours in these roses.

1 comment:

Sandie said...

I really like this set, and I hope you had a great day!