Thursday, March 6, 2008

7:365 updates - River Valley and People live here.

Philippe:

This is a stitch shot (got my software working again) of the morning sky.







Philippe:
SOOoooo.. Since I got my stitch software working, *this* was what I wanted to post March 02, but couldn't.. So you guys get three pics today :P






Anna:
My youngest daughter and I went for a walk in the river valley pictured above. I took a lot of pictures that were better than the ones I used in this composite. Certainly better from a technical or artistic point of view. I chose to put these two together because... well... people actually live down here.

The two on the bottom looked abandoned. They were buried deep in the bush, well off the trail. In the summer, in full leaf, they would be almost invisible.

The top one wasn't hidden in any way. It's right off the main path, and it most certainly isn't abandoned. It's also a fairly recent addition, though I don't know how long it's actually been there. No more than a month, I'd guess. This is a groomed trail, so the city workers would have done something about it, if it had been there for much longer.

The buildings you see above? That's the complex we live in at street level, so the photo's Philippe posted earlier are from above the bigger tent, and maybe half a block over.

4 comments:

Gawdess said...

I really like the way that the curve of the river contrasts with the straight of the horizon in both shots - I like other things too, but that really catches me.

Sharon said...

Love the top one :)
And the bottom one, I can't get over the thought of how cold that must be!

Anna said...

Youd'd be right about the cold, Sharon. Though it is somewhat sheltered, the valley is quite a bit colder. Especially the north side, where we are. At least the south side of the river has sunlight for a bit longer, but evening falls and temperatures drop quickly on either side.

There are a *lot* of people living down there, from what I hear. We never see the people, but we've seen their shelters. Nothing quite as elaborate as the blue dome. It's a tarp covering a dome tent, for an extra layer of insulation. I couldn't see what else there was, but it's the largest, most thoroughly build "home" I've ever seen down there. I'm amazed that it was right on the path like that, too.

A.

Sharon said...

Wow, I absolutely cannot imagine living out in that kind of cold!